Quote Originally Posted by Silverhead View Post
Yeah, but this is nothing new. Different companies almost always have their own definition of what matte or glossy is. Kentmere lists their Kentona surface as glossy, even though it's blatantly different from the glossy in their VC FB and RC. It's more of a semi-gloss, which I actually like a lot.
While the English language has a lot of possible wiggle room in defining an item to match a word, the paper companies seem to be off in their own dictionary. Maybe there has always been this problem, but that doesn't mean I accept it. It's really not difficult to find common ground, and I don't find "buy a box and try it" a logical response to determining the surface.

Matte is not semi-matte. Matte is essentially non-reflective, semi-matte is somewhat. Kodak has from time to time called the N surface "smooth lustre."

Using a letter designation like Kodak does removes all doubt what a surface is. You know what it is, from paper to paper.

Ilford's Pearl, BTW, pretty well matches to Kodak's E, "fine grain, lustre." It's a nice surface, a little glossier than N. I used it a lot - can I say this here? - in inkjet printing.