Quote Originally Posted by sanking
The great majority of c-prints being made today are from either original digital negatives or from scans of film originals.

Sandy

This may be true in that they are Chromogenic prints (c-prints) made via the RA4 process at the local 1 hour photoplace and are digital scans of 35mm snap shots.

The quantity of this work alone might be the majority of all colour prints.

I would think that many, if not a majority of, professional work is done similarly for proofs and packaged prints (portrait and wedding).

I suspect the traditional custom print is still done non digital by a wide margin.

Digital is a very slick and efficient way to get to point 'b' with colour work. RA4 process in combination with digital exposure is infinitely faster than inkjet output.

One can argue which is a better print by appearance or which process is more fulfilling, but it is difficult to argue against the business case of digital >> RA4.

You can teach monkeys how to load the machine and push the buttons and if you can make Koolaide you can probably be taught how to mix the chemistry.

The fact that RA4 is hanging on and is such an integral part of the digital wave gives me some sense of relief. It means that I will still be able to get my chems and that more R&D will be spent on the materials.