Here is an example of an interpretation that is quite a departure from the straight negative. This scene was photographed in the morning at Lilly Pond in Eagle Creek Park, which is close to where I live in Indiana. I often drive through here on the way to work and get out for a quick walk if the light is interesting. What caught my attention were the swirling patterns in the duckweeds growing on the surface of the pond.

Looking at the negative scan and playing around with levels allowed me to explore different possible interpretations. For me, this is one of the most powerful and time-saving aspects of working with a scanned negative image on the computer. I can play around with cropping and manipulate tonal representations, even with my most primitive computer skills, which can save an enormous amount of time, not to mention expensive paper, in the darkroom. It also allows me to visualize extreme changes that I might not consider otherwise.

Negative: Fuji Acros developed in Pyrocat HD
Paper: Ilford Galerie Grade 3 developed in ID-62

For this print, I've flipped the image vertically and cropped from the square to remove extraneous elements.
The image was printed down quite drastically to create a more somber mysterious mood.
"Foreground" swirls were dodged during the main exposure
Top, left and right hand edges burned down after the main exposure
Processed and washed print toned in thiocarbamide using a presulfiding step, i.e. brief soak in the thiocarbamide toner bath prior to bleaching.