Hi,

fhovie said:
"Most of my landscapes require a large print to open them up so they don't look too busy. There are often many fine details that cannot be appreciated in a 5x7."

I was given the task of making a portrait of a dog. I thought since animals like to move around a lot, especially this pup, I'd go for something that I can hand hold with success. So I grabbed my 35mm camera and loaded with Efke KB25 and went off for a very long walk with this cool dog and its owner.
It was incredibly difficult to get this dog still, and only 5 frames on the whole roll turned out OK. I made 5x7 prints by all of them and presented them to the owner. She was very happy with two of them and ordered a larger print of one of them, an 11x14. It was impossible to recreate the sharp, smooth look of the 5x7. I could not do it, for the life of me. Fortunately, the owner was happy with the image anyway, and seemed to understand that 11x14 is large for such a small format, even with such fine grained film.
I much preferred the 5x7, even though details of the dog was revealed at a larger size that could not be seen on the smaller size.

With that said, it's probably better with a larger print for landscapes, but then why not use a bigger camera/negative? The landscape isn't going anywhere. The dog just might be, though... and fast.

- Thomas
Saint Paul, MN