Quote Originally Posted by huggyviking
No, all negatives with 35mm and MF cannot ever be printed on anything larger than 8x10 paper.

I am fortunate enough to work at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. In memoriam of great photographer Richard Avedon, the Institute decided to hang a copy of his "Dovima with Elephants" from 1979. More of his work will be displayed.
This print is HUGE, probably 4x5 foot, and my my is that image impressive. Grain is so tight that I suspect it's made with 8x10 equipment, but I could be wrong. It could be some ludicrously finegrained film and 4x5. Either way, this humongous print is very very impressive, it takes my breath away.

With all else said in this thread, I think Tom Duffy put it best:
"I think we need to strive to take pictures that would be good irrespective of the format used, otherwise it's more self-therapy than communication."
I don't mind self therapy, it's the reason many people are into photography. My dad is an excellent photographer, but he has never showed his work to anyone but a few of us family members who bumped into him in his darkroom. He does it for himself, and to him that's important.

However, drifting off the thread here. I too think all formats are valid, and that the best possible quality should try to be obtianed no matter which format is used. Since Henri Cartier-Bresson passed away, there has been a small exhibit here at the museum with 7 of his best prints, and they are fairly large, between 11x14 and 16x20, it's hard to tell. But they are from 35mm and they are gorgeous!

- Thomas
Saint Paul, MN
I really disagree with this. I have a very good medium format that will make excellent 11x14's that rival even a 4x5 printed at 11x14. The 4x5 has the edge when I go up to 16x20. Many would not know the difference between my 16x20's from the medium format and the 4x5, but I do. To lump all medium format into the same catagory is wrong. Of course you might mean a 645 negative verses a 6x7 which is almost twice the size. Not all medium formats are created equal.