For this round I did two HIE images from Ireland -- one of the Poulnabrone Dolmen, the other of the Giant's Causeway. For those of you receiving the Giant's Causeway image, I have a bit of an explanation. For some reason, when I printed the cards I didn't do a final check of the final image I wanted to print (I blame it on the fixer ;-)), and as a result I overexposed the lot of them. So then I thought I would try to lighten them up by bleaching them back a bit (a global bleach of the entire image), which worked wonderfully, except for the slight yellowing in the clouds. No matter what I did (and I tried a lot of different things, toners and whatnot) nothing seemed to work. In the end I decided to go with the selenium toning -- the yellow is still there, but a bit more muted. Unfortunately, I didn't have any more postcard stock to print a new batch from, and what paper was left in my darkroom was just grey and muddy. So...I think the image still works nicely, and I hope you do too.

PVia -- without the bleach, there would be no yellowing, but the white moss/lichen is the effect I get when I print it properly (bleach not normally needed). The HIE gives it a different look than straight black and white film (which I also shot), in which the lichens remain in shades of grey.

Ritchie -- I don't know!!! It seems that just as I discover a film or a paper I find out it's been discontinued! (Don't get me started on papers for lith printing...) I have 21 rolls of HIE left -- that should see me out over the next year or so. In the meantime, I'm going to try the various other infrared films out there and see what I like.

rach