Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
funnili enough I have that book and just read the section on split printing. Nothing in there to add to what I already know so it does seem like a very simple technique. I will give it a go.

Thanks all...
alright. that was easy.

Split contrast printing is easy in that it simplifies a number of variables and helps to quickly determine contrast grade and general exposure. However, because of that, I am able to think of and execute much more complicated printing sequences that I would have otherwise. This allows for fine tweaks which generate better prints. For example, after a regular test strip, I might decide to pre-flash the paper, do the base yellow exposure with three separate burns, then do the magenta exposure while dodging one area and then burning somewhere else. I would never have figured that out with straight-up printing. Of course, I would never have done that without an RH Designs Stopclock timer either. If you start split contrast printing, you will soon want one of them (or perhaps the F-Stop Timer). Being able to do more detailed (and tedious) printing sequences also makes me more appreciative of a well exposed and developed sheet of film.