I don't think that MF is dying but I don't totally agree with Steve's view re: the jacked up tests in the magazines. Yes it does happen but not all reports are untruthful.I have just returned home after working for Ilford at Focus the UK Photoshow demonstrating digital and printing on their new range of papers. The results are stunning and I don't use the top end scanners and other kit although I do have access to it if I want it. I scanned 35mm, MF and LF negatives on a moderately priced Linoscan flatbed scanner. The show was just about totally digital and yes, there is always a lot of hype, for example Canon and their S9000 printer. The prints look good initially but are likely to fade within weeks unless you use Canon paper. I used the S9000 for the show and tested the inks using Ilford paper at the beginning of January, the black and white print faded in 6 days and Canon where really not interested when I spoke to their technical people at the show. That is certainly the down side of digital.

On the other hand I have recently been given a Canon D60 by a client who has purchased the D1S and have made excellent 20" x 24" digital prints on Fuji paper using the Epson 7600. The prints from the D1S are amazing, I have not yet made any larger than 20 x 24 but it's clear that they will go bigger.

Until 2 years ago I felt the same as Steve but have to say that the progress made in the digital field since then has changed my mind. I have no intention of giving up the darkroom for I love the process and believe that a silver print is still far better than a digital print but, the digital process does offer different tools and materials to the image maker.

I also had a long talk with the Marketing Director of Kodak UK who told me that black and white sales are increasing. Interesting times and perhaps we are about to have the best of both worlds.