A "slower lens (f:5.6)" on a 8x10" gives about the same DoF as a f:2.8 on 4x5". I would say that that is a good start!

For learning about plate cameras APUG is as good a start as any, especially if you're not after the finer details of production numbers of obscure 19th century camera makers in Manchester (I kid you not!).

To get really sharp coverage of your 4x5" with a classic fast lens, i.e. a Petzval, you would need something like a 14" f:3.5. Just do the maths, and you will find that the beast is more than 4" across, and at least a foot long. Finding a camera that will fit that kind of lens is more difficult than finding the lens!

Most "modern" petzval users use far smaller lenses than that. But since the real coverage of a Petzval portrait lens is about 15 degrees, that is what they used back when Petzvals were state-of-the-art.

One common combination is a Speed Graphic and an Aero-Ektar. The Speed Graphic has the great advantage of a focal plane shutter, and an adjustable (in most cases) rangefinder.

My own version of this (despite having a Speed Graphic and several very fast lenses) is to use a 24x30cm German plate camera with format reducing inserts in the plate holders. My camera can focus anything from a 47mm SA XL up to a 640mm Aplanat at portrait distances, on whatever size film or plate I might desire to put in it. As soon as I get the bellows replaced so I don't have to wrap it in the dark cloth, I mean...