Don;t worry about having black rodinal, it'll work as fresh.
I found a bottle with a little in it in the back of one of my shelves (about 2yr old) and it worked fine, I mixed the left over with a new bottle.

Sometimes you can see a "sludge" at the bottom of the rodinal bottles, don;t worry about it. From my understandig Rodinal is a saturated solution of p-aminophenyl so having some of it settling shoulnd't be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts
Hi,
As someone about to try Rodinal for the first time, one of its appealiing features is the much-mentioned long shelf life, but I'd like to know whether this refers to just full, unopened bottles or to half full bottles with a certain amount of air in them.
I've sometimes ended up dumping old developer concentrate (usually Ilfosol, which deteriorates rapidly) but wondered whether there would be any mileage in opening a new bottle and decanting it into several smaller, airtight containers. This sort of thing isn't a problem for the pros and high-volume users, but for those of us who develop a couple of films a month, wastage and throwing away chemicals goes "against the grain" (sorry!)
Any thoughts on the above?
Steve