Originally Posted by ReallyBigCameras
No problem with the questions. Thanks for the interest.
1) How tall are you? This will make a difference in which tripod I recommend.
I say that I am 6'2" but really I am 5'10".
2) What is the longest lens you use on your ARCA-SWISS and Canham?
the longest lens is a 300 mm f/8 Nikkor M. The heaviest is a 210 mm Caltar
3) Do you use any unusually big, heavy lenses on either camera (like a fast portrait lens, or a 300mm in a Copal No. 3 shutter)?
No. I have a solid Berlebach tripod which I really like but it weighs about 7 pounds without the head and is a 2-piece so bulky for travelling.
4) How important is compact folded size? This will be the deciding factor in choosing between 3-section or 4-section legs.
Because this would be a "travel" tripod, I would prefer 4-section legs.
5) Do you already own and ARCA-SWISS Z1, or are you in the market for a ballhead of similar size, quality and strength? There are other models that fit better within the reverse folded legs of the Feisol tripods. There are also brands that, in spite of being smaller than the ARCA-SWISS, don't fit at all within the reverse folded legs of the Feisol tripods. It's not just a question of size, the locations of the control knobs are even more important.
Yes, I own it but have not received it yet.
6) Do you plan to use this tripod with, or without a center column? The addition of the center column changes how the ballhead fits within the reverse folded legs. Some ballheads that won't fit without the center column fit fine with the center column installed.
No center column. Just the ball head on the platform. Also, for weight I would want the flat platform rather than the leveling base.
7) If you do own the Z1, which version do you have, and especially which style of QR clamp (knob driven or flip-lock)? This is important, as it's the QR clamp on the older ARCA-SWISS B1 that presents the most difficulty in fitting that head within the reverse folded legs of the Feisol tripods.
I have not received it yet so I am not certain which QR clamp it has. I think it has the knob rather than the lever, but not sure. I assume that I could just rotate the ball so that the knob is out of the way.
8) Do you have any plans to move up in format to 5x7, or 8x10? If so, would you like to use the same tripod for the larger format?
Only if I also get a divorce, so no plans yet. I also have an Acratech Ultimate ballhead which works well for the Canham, but I am not sure it will handle the Arca so I bought the Z1 also.
My next trip is in February so I am starting to look around now. Thanks.