Jerold,

Thanks for providing the additional details I requested. Based on your responses, I recommend the Feisol CT-3442 - with a couple caveats.

First, it won't be as rock solid steady as your 7 lb. Berlebach (or a 4 - 5 lbs. Feisol), but since you're looking for something light and compact for travel, and already have something bigger and heavier for everyday use, I think the CT-3442 is the way to go. It should be tall enough for you to use comfortably in most situations without the optional center installed. There will be some side-to-side rotational movement when you insert the film holder and pull the darkslide. However, if you wait 4 or 5 seconds after pulling the darkslide, this will dampen out and the camera will be stable. Actually, given that your lenses are neither long, nor heavy, 2 - 3 seconds would probably be sufficient, but a couple more seconds can only help.

Also, I haven't tried the ARCA-SWISS Z1 on the Feisol CT-3442. I have tried the older, slightly larger B1, however. With the knob driven clamp, the B1 fits within the reverse folded legs of the CT03442. The legs don't fold together tightly enough to touch at the tips, but they fold up tight enough to easily fit within the supplied bag. Also, the QR clamp is a deciding factor in how tightly the legs fold together. The flip-lock clamp actually looks like it would be more of a problem than the knob driven lock - which as you state, can just be positioned to fit between two legs.

The CT-3442 makes a great travel tripod. With a ballhhead nested within the reverse folded legs, the total folded length is only 18.8". Yet, it's still tall enough to use comfortably without adding the optional center column. Its very light. I'd normally recommend one of the larger Feisol tripos for everyday use with an ARCA-SWISS F-Line. However, you already have that covered. I've been using a CT-3342 with a Makins M10 with my ARCA-SWISS in 4x5 and 4x10 configurations with lenses up to 450mm for the past seven months. While the larger CT-3372 is more stable, the CT-3342 is fine as long as the conditions aren't extreme (in which case, I probably wouldn't be shooting any way) and I don't rush to trip the shutter when pulling the darkslide. The Z1 is a bigger, stronger head than the Markins M10. So, if you observe these same precautions, you should be fine, too.

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras
http://reallybigcameras.com