Well, I finally got the winding mechanism back together and it works fine now. Taking it apart wasn't too difficult, but putting it back together was a major hassle.
Looking at Patent #1,023,933, Figure 5, the three little round things (#17), are pushed by little springs (#18), jam between tapered spaces on the 3-lobed cam (#15) and the outer housing (#14 in Figs. #3 & #4), thereby preventing the winder from turning backwards and loosening the film on the take-up spool. Those little round things aren't balls, but rather tiny cylinders that have to stand up against their individual springs while the outer housing is put on. That's the hard part!
Well, I greased those little rascals real good to hold them in place while I installed the outer cover, but since they are held in place inside the outer cover by a small amount of spring tension, without the cover they present an overall diameter which is larger than the ID of the cover. That meant they kept turning sideways or falling over as I attempted to put the cover over them.
Finally, my slow hillbilly brain figured that I should wind a piece of thread about 2 turns around them and pull it tight to push the balls against their springs and decreasing the effective diameter of the cam, spring, & ball assembly so that the cover could fit over them. Once I got the cover over the assembly and about halfway on, I was able to release the thread and remove it then push the cover the rest of the way into place and secure it with its 2 screws.
All total, it took me about 2 1/2 hours to work on the mechanism and get it working, about 30 minutes to remove, disassemble and clean the winder, and about 3 hours to put the darn winder back together!!
I'm tired . . . think I will go to bed early this evening.
Last edited by B&Jdude; 09-28-2008 at 09:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
Reason: The usual spelling no-no's