Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
I fear (a big word) that regional subgroups would not only discuss very local topics, which would be ok, but also would keep themselves off the `majorī group making a parallel forum.
Why should they do so? I myself would in fact post in two or more languages to discuss about the same thing and get different points of view from different countries and cultures.

The appearance of Apug, as I put it, could be changed in a way that it rather becomes a bundle of groups doing their own discussions. Instead of what it currently is: a Forum of people from all (read: many) parts of the world bringing in their different expertise an curiosity on different topics.
Am I the only one who finds that there is no reason for your Apugophobia? Do you really believe that all these forum members that don't speak a word of german/french/dutch/sanskrit or whatever would suddenly jump into the "local" german forum, lock the door and throw away the key?

There is that language barrier, and a subgroup of its own language would not neccessarily make members of that group post in English. Rather the opposite.
As I said, many people will post in different languages. If they speak that language. "US domination" that you dislike will keep the english language forum alive.

Look at the small Leica forum:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/

German and english in one forum, and it works fine though it is a very small forum only.