I used to belong to a club in Edinburgh and found that it could be both very good and very frustrating. Over the years there were some excellent talks by a good range of photographers and the club was generally very encouraging, helpful and friendly. However, I did get fed up with the emphasis on competitions, print battles and gaining RPS distinctions. (Even though I used to take part in those competitions!) I wanted to learn more than the club was offering to teach me...
However, the experience and learning that I had gained encouraged me to go to college to study photography, which I perhaps wouldn't have done otherwise. For that I am grateful.
Since moving to England, I've given both the RPS and another photography club a go but found both too 'narrow'. I don't want to be told what to think about photography, I'd rather go out and do my own thing. That's where APUG helps. (I hope!) With so many members there must be a huge amount of variety in approach and plenty of scope and encouragement for real exploration of photography...