Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
Hi All,

I'm thinking of swapping my Leica M6 for a Mamiya 7. The obvoius gain is in negative real estate but what are the downsides? Has anyone made the switch? How did it go for you? My main use for the M6 is my everyday carry camera to shoot whatever may come, sort of my notebook of my life. It takes me about a month to go through a 24 exp roll of 135.

I pretty much only shoot with a 35 on my M so I was going to go with the 65mm lens and add the 150 in case I need something to get in close.

I'd appreciate any insight anyone can give.

Take care,

Jim
I had am M3 at one time, and now would give anything to have it back. Am considering a M4-P or M6 one day. Nothing can compare to the beautiful bokeh from a Leica lens.

I've shot Mamiya 7 on Maui for weddings, and it can indeed be a big pain in the rear. Leica is the only camera to get the most from the 135 format. Nothing else compares. I've dropped 135 altogether, and shoot with Rollei TLRs and recently added a Mamiya M645 Pro (will be adding an M654 TL body very soon) setup as a replacement for the 135.

You may want to consider the 645 series as it is significantly cheaper than the 7, and just as good. Plus you will have 15 shots on a roll, which you may find easier to go through. As usual, KEH is the place.

Rolleijoe