Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
I still don't understand how if the filters are below the lightsorce how you will adjust them. In the only color enlarger I have played with, Omega D5, the filters partially move in front of the light source. If this happens without a mixing box you will see the filter with the condensers. Is there something I am missing?
In the Durst 138S enlarger the filter drawer is situated immediately in the front of the lamp. The light is then transmitted to a front surface mirror and reflected downward through the condensors. The color enlarger that I have used has dichroic filters that increase very linearly from a small value to a larger value. Thus they are configured more as a variable intensity color "wheel" then a single value that is adjusted in or out of the light path. My thoughts are based on this "variable wheel" model. It is this type of a dichroic filter the I would place into the light path.

Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
I agree, which is why I am curious. I currently own two D5XLs with three heads (condenser, Ilford, and Chromega). I haven't used the condenser head in a while, but I did notice a change in my prints when I stopped. I have not tested the diffusion against the condenser and seen if I could product the same look with each however.
I stayed away from condensor sources for years because of all of the horror stories that AA and others promulgated. I am happy to relate that here has been no single thing that has contributed more to the improvement of my prints then the condensor light source. Of course all should choose their own direction in this regard.