Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Werth View Post
Sorry, this post came up when I was writing. True, but "Mein Kampf" was, first, not so widely read, second, if yes, mostly seen as something like fiction or the putting forward of an ideal, and, third, had even in the European abroad received quite favourable reviews. Antisemitism had been not yet outraged, but kept creepig into normal discourse!
Agreed...

In Germany older people say "Mein Kampf was like the bible, every household has one, few people ever read it"

It was a book written by one of 1000 idiots fighting to gain power, spouting bile and (presumably) Bullsht.

If some guy campaigning for president writes a whackjob book like that... do you really take it at face value? Sure, we now have hindsight now and see he did mean it... but would you have believed he was that crazy at the time?

Out of interest, I found this today when googling to find out some things on this thread...

“When I passed the Chancellor he arose, waved his hand at me, and I waved back at him. I think the writers showed bad taste in criticizing the man of the hour in Germany.”

– Jesse Owens: The Jesse Owens Story, 1970

Does not make Hitler any better than he was, but just to get facts straight.