...and so are the subjects for my 'new' lens.

Y'see, I had a problem when I came back here. It was too early to really start doing anything photographically. Rinoa was 5 months old and, pretty much as soon as I'd started again, I got way too busy with her and just full-on quit again. I didn't want to give up, so I kept all my equipment in hopes that I'd be able to pick it up again soon. This means, of course, that I'm only just now really getting to play with the new LF toy I bought right before I dropped off the face of the earth again: the Graphic View II.

I'd taken some previous shots with it, including a shot of a small buddha statue we have as well as a couple of bottles. But those were with the very simple, very much newer Geronar. I've since been working more on shots taken with the other lenses I've got.

I'm probably going to be focusing on still life shots for the duration of the tests with a couple of the lenses I got with the camera. There are reasons, but the main one is that I can set up and shoot a still life with Rinoa at my feet, which is where she tends to like to be, constantly. I can develop after she goes to bed.

So the first shot I did was of a bunch of bananas. They were both shot with a no-name lens that could've been something like an early enlargement or process lens. It has no date of manufacture, but is solid brass. Very solid. It is 125mm in focal length and has an aperture of f/4 to f/11. I shot both at maximum aperture to see what it could do wide open.



This first shot was my first experiment with the lens, and also my first time using a lens without a shutter. I wanted to try a couple of things that have been said to work. This first time I pulled the darkslide and replaced it when finished. Too much camera shake, but it's barely noticeable thanks to the 6 second shutter speed that could've been a few seconds longer. So on to the second approach.



This one worked out pretty well. The old 'hold a darkslide in front of the lens' trick. Jim Galli actually gave me this idea. I just put a darkslide in front of the lens, pulled the darkslide from the film holder, then moved the darkslide to take the photo. Again, about 6 seconds. This would've worked better had I been smart enough to realize that the darkslide would fit better if I'd had it in a vertical position instead of a horizontal, but you live and learn.

I've become way, way too wordy. Anyway, just wanted to let you see what I did.

Next test is going to be at minimum aperture. Should be interesting. A stuck blade makes the aperture at f/11 almost triangular.