Quote Originally Posted by Alan Davenport
Recently, I made up 2 liters of Nelson Gold Toner. I followed the instructions carefully. However, the sediment that formed after the addition of the Gold Chloride which the instructions said may continue for several days to a week never stopped. Even after more that 2 weeks a very yellowish sediment continued to settle and cling to the sides and bottom of the glass jug.

What caused this? Also, the milkiness that formed during the mixing of the Ammonium Persulfate and the Hypo turned into a yellowish sediment. The water I used was at 125deg F, was this temperature too high. Does this sediment need to be filtered out before adding the Gold Chloride solution?

Thanks
Alan Davenport
The sediment is normal. When you use the toner you can filter it before pouring it into the tray but return it to the storage bottle. I don't understand the chemical reactions involved but your observation and experience is normal for this toner.

I'm not sure that I can endorse using the toner in a stainless steel tray since there are various grades of stainless, meaning not all are non reactive. Instead I would recommend heating in a pyrex container and pouring it in to a flat bottomed plastic tray surroundef by a hot water bath in another tray. Aim for a temperature of about 105F. This toner is a hassle to use but can yield extremely rewarding results. You may wish to experiment with split toning pulling the print before the toning is complete. Also you can tone shortly in Nelson Gold toner followed by a lengthy wash which you can then follow with a toning bath of selenium toner or blue gold toner. Selenium toner will turn the print a reddish copper hue and the blue gold toner will cause a cool split tone in the print.

Tim Rudman's Master Toning handbook is an excellent reference to guide you in your toning experiments.

Good luck, have fun, and take a lot of notes,

Don