Quote Originally Posted by CBG View Post
I'm not sure I'd use the image of a light bulb filament as an absolute standard for evaluating negatives. I presume you processed that too.
sure, I actually included it in a 'scene' to give myself some measure of what it the darkest and brightest that the film would capture. I feel I got valuable data from it

Similarly, I'm not sure a snowy scene is the best for getting the hang of a "normal" developing time, etc. A scene composed of really dark and really bright elements and probably a rather extreme contrast may lead you astray. A set up with a full range of mid tones as well as a modest representation at the extremes would be the easiest starter.
sure, again this was also a taylored experiment as I was trying to understand what effects it had on highlights and being able to retain tonality.

Great start - the idea of geometic jumps in developing times as a test series is exactly the way to do it
thanks for the feedback, I kind a got the idea from a book (the one by by Phil Davis) but anyway ;-)