You could use a resistor. In fact, the meter most probably already has a series resistor anyway. The problem is that you would need to work out or find by trial and error the correct resistance for each type of camera you modify.

With a diode you know that the voltage with a new type of cell will be very close to that of the old mercury cell so the meter should still be good (assuming it was correct with a mercury cell).