Seeing as I have gotten very little discussion on this topic I guess my little parody missed the mark and fell flat on it's face.

I will explain:

In the old days a movie studio, when it wanted to publicize a movie, it turned to its publicity department to produce photographs of the stars and hence we got the wonderful work of Hurrell etc. The studios also controlled the movienews reels as well as the photoplay etc magazines of it's day.

Nowadays the movie studios are part of mult national conglomorates that own all the major television networks, radio stations, book publishing houses, newpapers, and periodicals including Time, Newsweek and hundreds of others, as well as a myriad of other enterprises. Therefore when a new "blockbuster" movie is about to foisted on an unsuspecting public there is enormous saturation of various media to achieve this. Everything from, Good Morning America, to History Channel to Letterman to the covers of every magazine you can think of. This is all part of the new propaganda to entice us to attend this "blockbuster".

This brings us to the celebrity portrait photographer. These peope are the front men, if you will, for an enormous publicity machine to present these "movie stars' to us in a favorable light.( if you'll pardon the pun). The photographers themselves are made out to be celebrities in their own right by the publicity machines and as such, must travel with an entrourage of well wishers and a** kissers.

The work, whatever you think of it, is essentially, photography by committee, and carried out as such. From conception to completion it is handled much like a movie itself. Some of us, in the people photography field have had mixed feeling about this for a while. This is not the work of Karsh, Newman, Eisenstadt etc.

To try to get a response I thought I would drive my SUV into the sacred cow of probably the majority of people on this forum. Namely the dedicated large format, educated, meticulous, and earnest people who consider Ansel Adams to be a master, among many others.

I wanted to see how you would feel about the kind of work you are passionate about being infiltrated and circumvented by people who work in the way of my character, Ansel Leibowitz.

Some of you might think this rather tedious as it has nothing to do with technique or favorite recipes (oops I did it again) but this is the ethics and philosophy section after all.

I will start another topic and see if there are responses to that.

Michael McBlane