Quote Originally Posted by Woolliscroft
There were plenty of focal plane shutters 75 years ago. Another plus with leaf shutters is that they produce less shock than FP, so they can be easier to hand hold at slow speeds and can even produce slightly sharper results on a light tripod.

David.
I have seen this disputed many times over the Internet for some time. It is very true. After early years of b&w work I succumbed to color print w/lab processing while raising a family and traveling professionally. In circa 1980, I went through a bit of crisis in my photography. It just wasnít up to my pre-collegiate and premarital 35mm transparency work.

Careful examination and comparison of the products of the two periods revealed that the later negative images were just not as clear as the previous. The early work was accomplished with a Zeiss leaf shutter camera and the latter with a Zeiss focal plane SLR. I began to wonder? Did all that baking and shaking going on in the SLR affect the image?

To test this theory, I set up a tripod to make a photograph of a local church using good olí Kodak Kodachrom 64 (I recollect). The cameras were identically set and tripped with a cable release. The results confirmed: leaf shutters make clearer pictures even when mirror-lockup is employed. The slides are still here somewhere but I really donít want the trouble of digging through a couple of thousand to find them Ė no filing system then (and not much now).

I got better and now do only b&w (again) and little 35mm work.