Interesting thought which I would like, however, to qualify somewhat:
I am not certain it would be so easy for, say, three different people looking at a picture, to point out the particular features which make a "3D look". I am also not at all certain a good picture has to have a "3D look". A multitude of tones, for instance, may not quite work in the same direction as contrast: say, a well executed platinum print is distinguished by an extraordinary multitude of subtle tonal values from shadows into highlights, but you neither get the deep blacks nor the sparkling whites of a bromide print. Does it look three-dimensional? I would say yes, in a way a good etching of drawing does - but others might disagree.
Concerning sharpness: I like pinhole pictures with their soft sharpness, and they also may look quite three-dimensional. Also, last week, I have seen some large Rubens paintings (among others), executed with extraordinary broad strokes, and drawing you inside from a viewing distance. The same holds true, for me at least, for many impressionist paintings.