They purchased the US stores of Kits Cameras, a small chain that started in the Kitsilano area of Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and expanded for a time into the US. Kits Cameras hasn't been around here for a long time, but there still is/was a "Kits Cameras" in Bellingham, Washington earlier this month, when I was down there.

The owner of Kits Cameras ("Norm Babbs", IIRC) was a neighbour of ours when I was growing up, and I always found it strange seeing Kits Cameras in the USA.

There really isn't anything of interest to me anymore in the Kits Cameras in Bellingham, other than the odd battery or a few mid sized camera bags, but whenever I would talk to any of the very young staff there, they were always at least respectful of my interest in film, and in some cases shot at least some film themselves.

They also had the ability to order anything in that was in the Ritz "catalogue".

I understand the comments about Walmart and Costco, but I never got the impression in that Kits Cameras store that they weren't interested in photography, even if the stuff they had for sale wasn't to my taste.

I think it is sad, and a loss.

Matt