There are still economical juried shows out there. In another thread I posted that I had been juried into the 29th annual FAVA, six state photography show in Oberlin, Ohio.
http://www.favagallery.org/Fava%20gallery.html
As in the last four years that I have gotten in, the cost was $15 for three entry images that had to be framed and matted. They would provide Plexiglas and clamps if you couldn’t afford frames and glass. I borrowed three from my still running museum show.

There was much thanking of sponsors at the opening. The judge reviewed the six images that were given awards. He offered and gave reviews of any other images in the show, in my case remembering and comparing to the other two images I submitted. I think there is much to be gained by having your work critiqued. Judges may differ, even contradict each other, but I feel I have learned from it.

This is why I at age 69 continue to take university photography classes which require class critique every two weeks and offer portfolio reviews by visiting artists: Lois Conner ‘04; Andrea Modica & (Chip Forelli, ME Photo Workshops) ’05; (Les McLean, Paula Chamlee, Michael Smith APUG Toronto) ’06; Thomas Roma & William E. Williams ’07; Martin Parr, Abelardo Morell ’08; Toby Jurovics ’09.

John Powers