</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (docholliday @ Mar 15 2003, 02:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>There is a difference, especially when you add some modifier to the softbox.&nbsp; </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
Doc I agree, but all of what you mention are control-of-light issues and with the exception of the use of a grid or baffles and feathering I have been able to emulate all the effects you mention with what I have. For instance size, I have a 60" umbrella and if larger is needed I have put three translucent umbrellas together (of course it requires three heads) giving approximately 8&#39; softbox effect. For barn dorns I can use foam core boards etc........Of course there are cheap homemade gobos and screens that I didn&#39;t even get in to.

The point of the question was can I (with a lot of extra work and fussing around) get the same quality-of-light as someone using softboxes. It would seem the answer is yes you can, and I am missing mostly convenience and time savings.

Thanks all.