This will respond to J Bruners and Ralph Lamprecht's comments about consistency.

First, a test strip for me is simply that. With Ilford or Adox (old Agfa) RC glossy paper, I typically aim for test strip exposures of about 16, 13 and 10 seconds (usually about f8 for the lens with 6x6 Tri-X negatives). With dektol at 1:2, the paper starts coming to life in about 10 seconds and is probably fully or nearly fully developed at about 30 seconds. My 45 second time is more than enough for my test strip to sufficiently steer me to a final exposure time. I do not make a test strip at my estimated final exposure time.

Frankly, I doubt I could tell the difference between an RC print developed for 45 seconds vs. 60 seconds. I do not believe any more density appears in the final 15 seconds, but just in case the blacks are affected subtely, I develop full size prints for 60 seconds as the manufacturers data sheets call for.

As for fixing, I am not concerned if my test strips are under fixed and would not hold up over time. They are in the waste basket within minutes of fixing. I have never seen a difference in a final print fixed for 3 minutes vs. the test print fixed for 10 seconds before turning on the lights.

In my opinion, these procedures do not sacrifice quality, they simply save time.

With fiber paper, everything slows down some, but I apply the same thinking. Test strips are developed for a little over a minute, full size prints for 2 minutes.

Again, this works for well for my impatient nature.