Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
Mark--in that very tough neg you sent out in the print exchange (a dark hallway with a bright light coming through glass doors at the end), which I didn't get to print yet, if you were to meter for the shadows and place them on Zone III or IV, the highlight area would have been even more excessively dense at the development time you used. You probably would need to cut development time, give extra exposure, and perhaps adjust the development formula (as I recall it was BPF 200 in Pyrocat HD) or use stand development to keep the highlights in easily printable range.
There's no probably to it. The shadows on the left are effectively at Zone 0 and the highlights in the glass door panes are blown. Still, it might be possible to make a good print from it. I'll do my damnedest and send it back to you, David. I'm also going to send Mark a couple of my negatives which are virtually perfect (Zones III-1/2 to VIII with tone everywere) so he can get a better idea of what to shoot for. Their scale is perfectly matched to grade 2 Azo. One is done in Pyrocat HD and prints effortlessly.

Mark - don't be afraid to put the darkest shadows on Zone IV. I know it seems like overkill, but the most glowing prints (on Azo, anyway - I can't comment on alternative processes) come from those negatives where "expose more, develop less" is the watchword.