Quote Originally Posted by Max
That raises my next question, and maybe photomc already answered it: can you do more than one sheet at a time in a tray with stand development? It would seem that the developer between the sheets would get exhausted before it was time to agitate.

Does anyone do this in trays?
Yes, I routinely do semi-stand development in slosher trays with 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 sheet film. My 4x5 slosher has 6 film compartments (thus 6 sheets of film) and my 5x7 and 8x10 sloshers both have 4 film compartments. The slosher trays are designed to fit into a slightly larger conventional darkroom tray.

My semi-stand agitation procedure calls for a 5 minute pre-soak in water, followed by transfer of the slosher tray to a tray of Pyrocat-HD working solution. I gently rock the slosher for 30 seconds immediately after immersion into the developer. I let the slosher stand for half of the total development time, then gently rock the slosher for 30 seconds. At the end of the development time I transfer the slosher tray to a tray full of water a brief rinse, then I transfer the slosher to a tray full of non-hadening alkaline fixer.

I have no problems with uniformity of development. With a slosher tray, I use a large volume of developer (1.5 - 2 liters 0f 2:2:100 dilution Pyrocat-HD) for 4 sheets of 8x10 film. Note that Pyrocat-HD is very inexpensive and works well with many different types of agitation. Pyrocat-HD works very well with minimum agitation.

I have not experienced any developer exhaustion problems with Pyrocat-HD. In fact, I have on occasion run an additional 4 sheets of 8x10 film through the developer with no change in performance.