Quote Originally Posted by Max
Thanks.

I'm going for a record here with stupid questions - I don't have room for slosher trays. Is it just that the top ones won't get even development or that the developer between the sheets gets exhausted?

In other words, what if you put a few "dummy" sheets of already-developed, fixed, and washed film on top to keep the others down?

I know, I could always just do one sheet at at time, but I'm just asking...
There are no stupid questions!

You can process 6 sheets of 5x7 with one 16x20 tray and 1 5x7 slosher tray that fits inside it.

1. Pour 2 liters of tempered water into the 16x20 tray, insert the slosher tray and pre-soak the film. Then add the developer concentrate to the soak water and agitate for 30 seconds.

2. At the halfway point, agitate for another 30 seconds.

3. When the development time is up, pour the necessary amount of non-hardening fixer concentrate directly into the developer and agitate (this is a Pat Gainer trick and it works very well).

4. Dump the used developer/fixer and wash the film in the slosher/16x20 tray combo, using multiple changes of water. The wash water needs to be within a degree or so of the soak/development/fixing chemistry - AVOID THERMAL SHOCKS!