I might have an explanation (though a fuzzy one):
Yesterday I was watching a TV show where they were following the work of fashion photographers Leda & St.Jacques (their website) on a shoot for a local paper. They were said to be the best photographers in Canada (that's a pretty high statement which I will not comment on... they're highly respected in the region). On the shoot, they were using a Hasselblad H1 (or similar) with digi back (like expected). The only thing that somewhat bugged me is they were using a fairly wide angle lens for the shoot. Their studio had plenty of space left to use a longer focal length but they still were shooting a shoulder and head shot at about 5 feet from the subject (I might be generous there since the TV camera lens can lie). Back home, they began retouching the image using the Liquify plug-in in photoshop. Resizing the ears, nose and eyes to remove the wide angle artifacts. Then, they began softening the the skin's wrinkles caused by the use of a single very large softbox directly overhead. They didn't use a reflector to even out the tones. They were lightening the tones with the dodge & burn tools adding highlights to the cheeks. They also desaturated part of the image. And after that, they were sending the image to a professional photo retoucher before it even made it to the paper.

As predicted, the final image was said to be a masterpiece. The client was happy (they said "hearing from an happy client is almost worth a good paycheck"... notice the word "almost"). (I am translating this from French, but the gist is the same).

After seeing that, I figured that it looks better to say the image was heavily doctored than to say it was perfect on first shot. I think you can draw your own conclusions here.