Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
I did confirm that the focusing is even throughout from center to all four corners on the baseboard. The easels are the problem.
Good.
I once had an easel that I beat on with a wooden mallet to flatten it out. The steel was pretty solid so it was not easy.

Getting back to the issue of depth of field. I presume that since you shoot 4x5 that you are familiar with focusing the view camera using the method of Paul Hansma (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/fstop.html) ? Then you should be able to do the same with the enlarger.

So, focus on the peak of the easel hump. Note the distance marker on your enlarger column. Then (without touching the focus knob) move the enlarger head downward to focus on a corner. Make note of the distance between the two points in millimeters. Then position the head at the middle point between the two positions. You can use the formula to find your f-stop or I have a hunch you can just use f22.

If the print is still not acceptable, then either there is a communication gap or the laws of physics have been defied