A long answer with good information is much better than a short answer that does not answer the question.

What you say is more or less what I suspected. Much of the proprietary information is in the tradition of the practice and subject to loss with the persons of the practice.

Also, based on conversations I have had with you and other people involved in emulsion making, and in my own limited work with coatings, there appers to be quite a lot of art that is needed to go along with the science of the practice.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
Sandy;

Probably a lot of manufacturing secrets would be lost and a lot of procedural operations would become obscure. For example, the details of a dispersion are published in many places, but I doubt if anyone could make one without weeks of trial and error unless they were taught. Same goes for emulsion making.

Some material may be turned over to George Eastman House. Some has already been placed in their hands, but the usage of many items is obscure.

I have to "interpret" Wall and Baker for example, to get any sort of useful information out of them regarding emulsion making, and many chemicals they use are obscure today due to name changes.

They measure many solutions as being made in "degrees Baume" but no one has a conversion table that I know of. None of my handbooks or texts cover it.

So, it is going to be tough to make up gelatin to a Kodak internal standard in "RBT" units which are entirely arbitrary.

Sorry for this long answer, but the bottom line is that they may be lost or may be published. If published, they may be so obscure as to be useless or nearly useless.

PE