Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
This goes back to discussions ad nauseum that we have had here on using the best quality chemicals. Borax was one of the chemicals discussed and the general response was Borax is Borax, but here we see that it is not. Bud was supplied with something different and had to clear up the problem.

I am very happy for all concerned that it is now known what was going on. Even with the best intentions, things go awry.

To those who use any old chemical, here is a prime example of why you should deal with a reputable company that uses (or tries to use) good, photo grade chemistry. Let this stand as a prime example of what I have been warning about. The reason is that if this can happen to the Formulary with its strict adherence to purchase of high quality chemicals, then it should serve to warn you about pool chemicals or laundry chemicals. Chances are that they will vary even more!

PE
It may be that Borax is Borax, although there is a possibility that the grocery store Borax may have other things in it, whether intentional or not. Any contaminents in Borax (including water) would mean that you need more, to get the same amount of Borax. Of course if the amount of this contamination varies from batch to batch, then getting the exact amount would be difficult.

I would guess that the limits for variation of contaminants in Borax would be less in chemistry grade then for the grocery store stuff.