Hey, thanks for the replies, fellas! I'm afraid this might still be out of my range of darkroom technique at this point, but please humor me as I have more dumb questions:
- If I start with a slide, enlarge it onto tmax and then contact print to an ortho film, I will end up with a positive, right? I thought contact printing in alternative processes used a negative.
- How can I figure out exposure times? My enlarger doesn't have 1/250sec or whatever increments. It starts at 5 seconds, then goes up by 1 second increments.

36cm2 thanks, I did find that article, and was hoping for a bit more detail. This is the part I am interested in:
"By starting with a positive transparency from the camera an enlarged internegative can be obtained in one step on sheet film. If the original small-format image is a colour transparency, projection onto orthochromatic materials (which are insensitive to red light) will not faithfully reproduce the tonal balance. To maintain this, a panchromatic sheet film will be necessary, possibly with a colour head or a filter to bring the enlarger light source to a daylight colour balance."

Tmax is a panchromatic sheet film, yeah? I have a color head. What does it mean to "bring the enlarger light source to a daylight colour balance?"

I assumed (naively, apparently) that the process would be something like:
-set up enlarger for 8x10 projection size
-switch off two colors (I have an additive enlarger, so red-blue-green)
-expose a sheet of film, put that sheet in a dark box, marking it somehow to indicate the color exposed
-repeat for the other two colors
-develop the 3 sheets
-contact print using the gum bichromate process

This is not going to give me the results I need?

Thanks for clearing this stuff up for me.

edit: yeah, and I don't have a scanner, so I'm totally analog in this process