Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah Smith View Post
Thanks for all the responses - lot to think about here. I will take a look at each camera mentioned.
To be honest, I wasn't thinking about the tripod. Hmmm...suppose it will take a bigger one than I use with 35mm shots - that may be problematic on the bike. Well, I could still scout out stuff when Mt. biking, and then return on foot (ugh...I love wheels) to capture scenes if I had to.

EDIT: Hahaha...I had to laugh at the suggestion of turning my bike over and using for a tripod - and then I got to thinking...there's a good idea in there somewhere! :-)

Appreciate all the info, I will do some looking at all this. Never had a 4x5...must be sweet looking at the slide / negs.
Jed
My first suggestion for a tripod would be a compact, ultralightight carbon fiber "traveler" style tripod, like the Feisol CT-3441S. Combined with a lightweight ballhead, this will easily support a lightweight 4x5 camera and give you the most versatility.

Or, if you're serious about turning your bike into a tripod, you might consider something like this. Although it's shown mounted on the handle bars, you could mount this adapter on any tube of the proper diameter (25.4mm or 31.8mm). If you do mount it on the handle bars, you would need some way to lock the front wheel from swinging side-to-side - perhaps some kind of small clamp.

In any case, there are two possible issues to overcome - working height and keeping the bike from tipping over. Since a bike is shorter than a tripod, you'd need to bend over/crouch down to compose and focus. I'm also not sure if I'd trust my expensive 4x5 camera and lenses to my bicycle's kick stand. I'd probably want something a little sturdier to prop up the bike to keep it from tipping over while being used as a tripod - or perhaps using it upside down would solve this problem with the Feisol Bike Mount attached to the bottom frame tube.

Kerry Thalmann
Really Big Cameras