Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
I put the exposed sheets into glassine envelopes before firing them into an old film box. In order to know what kind of development each neg gets, I first cut notches into the envelopes edge...one notch for N development, two notches for +1, etc. I guess I could have a box for each kind of developing, but there's only so much room in my backpack and the glassine stops the negatives from rubbing against each other.

Location, date, lens, film holder number, exposure information, and a rough sketch of the scene are also jotted down on the glassine envelope at the time of exposure.

Murray
A slight variation on Murray's approach - I return the film to a black plastic bag similar to what it originally came in before putting it into the box. That provides an additional margin of protection in the event some bozo tries to open the box. I have a N, N- and N+ box, and to differentiate between one and two stop compensation negatives, I have stuck small plastic 'bumps' onto the black envelopes - one for one stop negs, and two for two stop negs.

Finally, when traveling, I take along a roll of blue painter's tape that I used to wrap around the box before going through airline security. Obviously, that won't stop someone from opening the box, but it could cause them to stop and read the label on the box that declares it to be unprocessed film.