Ed, the photograph and photographer your mention was spotlighted in the December 2002 issue of B&W magazine. His name is Horace Bristol, born 1908 and I believe still alive. He was friends and a contemporary of Adams, Weston, Lange and Cunningham. Bristol waa also a friend of John Steinbeck's and asked Steinbeck to help his with a project documenting the dispossed from the depression era south. Steinbeck went on the fictionalize the project as the Grapes of Wrath, Bristol's images were used as a guide for casting the film version as well as presented in multi page spreads in Life magazine.

The war image I remember the most is by Eugene Smith of the marines holding a dying infant that had ben pulled from a cave on Saipan and the image of the instant the battleship Arizona exploded at Pearl Harbor. Two more that I always remeber that demonstrate the brutality of totalitarian states is an image of an Australian pilot about to be beheaded by a Japanese officer and a very famous image of concentration camp survivors lined up behind the barbed wire fence string ghost like into the camera. I believe that image was by Eisenstadt but please correct me if any one else knows of the image.

The WW2 ones have the most impact because my father was a Navy veteran of that war and he had quite a number of history books such as the Life History of WW2 in pictures that was first published in 1949. That book was really my first exposure to B&W photography.