Yeah, and I've got lenses in 5mm increments and 15 different-format backs for my camera just so I don't have to crop in the darkroom...

Uh, except when I want format 16 or really love the view between 205mm and 210mm....

I compose my work very carefully, and each image has its own, self-dictated, format and dimensions. Limiting myself to 4x5, 6x6, etc. and printing full-frame would just compromise my careful composing. I crop, and I view it as one of the most useful creative tools in my bag. I print with more image than I need and trim each image with a paper cutter to the precise dimensions.

And (getting back to the original topic), that is one reason why I do not like black borders. I don't want to prove that I composed "in-camera," nor do I want to have it seem so (I, too, think it is pretentious). Nor do I think that the black border is aesthetically pleasing. More important is matching the white of the mount board to the tone of the base of the paper one uses. Black borders, for me, detract from the blacks in the print, making them look washed out. White borders do the same for print whites, but for some reason this seems more manageable by choice of board, printing, and judicious edge burning.

Sorry for being off-topic a bit, but I couldn't resist...

Best,

Doremus Scudder
www.DoremusScudder.com