I as well use split grade filter printing quite a bit. I believe the results achieved with the technique cannot be achieved with printing with one filter, or controlling contrast through other means, plus it's easier. I print with a Beseler dicro color head on Ilford VC papers and just dial from one extreme (200M) to the other (200Y).

For example, if I have a image where a part of the foreground needs an increase in contrast, say because it's in the shade, I will dodge this area during part or all of the soft (g00) exposure, so essentially this area only or mostly receives the hard (g5) exposure thus increasing contrast. It's amazing! Or vice versa, just the other week I printed a negative of a stone shed. The beautiful stone wall of the shed was in bright sunlight. So the highlights were wonderful, but the cracks and dark features of the wall didn't pop. I simple extra burn with the hard (g5) filter brought the blacks in exactly how I envisioned.

For me I use use it when a negative calls for it. Not all negatives need this technique and when I can I do print images with one grade. But when called for, the extra dialing filters and work pays off.