Jim, since they are on the thin side, give azo a try anyway. I've had this one to deal with and my technique for a thin negative is to give more exposure and then cut development time. I treat azo like a slow film. To reduce contrast you can try adding exposure and reduce development. The increased exposure treats the high values with enough light to make it through the film and get substance in zone VIII (remember, it is all backwards with paper). The reduced development time stops shadows from blocking up completely and turning to tar.

It has been pointed out to me that this is not the correct way to deal with film. It should be the correct exposure and always match the paper's scale. Since I have made mistakes from time to time in my photography, am not perfect and have no real hope of being perfect on each shot, I've had to adapt to my own flaws (rationalization, justification or reality). I hope this isn't too discouraging, but it helps to realize that, try as we might, it isn't always as we wish. So what? As long as we keep plugging away, we will always learn and improve.