I'd prefer dry plate negatives to wet plate negatives each and every time in terms of ease -> even assuming pouring dry plate negatives are harder (I absolutely don't have a clue on this! But my feeling is that it shouldn't be any harder, both need mastery - gained w/ exercise...), just because the fact that with wet plate, you need a darkroom with you *in the field*... I'd rather learn how to pour well gelatin emulsion instead of carrying a darkroom with me!

OTOH, in my limited knowledge, theorically, wet plate negatives have the edge in the ultimate image detail department. There aren't silver halide crystals with pre-determined shape and size in wet plate, which is not the case for dry plate negatives. Does that have an importance in real life situations? Hardly... (My gut feeling again.)

I'm interested in dry plate (future plan) because I have a nice 5x7" plate camera with a fine / large aperture lens which I want to exploit.

Regards,
Loris.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
I have often wondered why more people appear attracted to wet plate collodion negatives than to making gelatin dry plate negatives. Is there some special image quality in the wet plate collodion negative, or is it just more difficult to get an even coating with dry plate negatives?

Sandy King