This is a reply I received from Sandy King, the creator of Pyrocat-HD. At the bottom are my questions:

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:54:54 -0500
To: <>
Subject: Re: Hi there, just tried your Pyrocat-HD and have a couple of questions (gee that&#39;s a surprise&#33

Thanks for the report. I am pleased that Pyrocat worked well for you.

I do not have a personal web site at this time but you can see some further information on pyrocat at You can also find at the same site a paper I did on UV printing sources for alternative printing if you are interested, with a few of my images.

To answer your questions, I have not tested Pyrocat with Delta 400. I am not sure if Clay tested it for the Unblinking Eye article. You might check with Pavel Babushkin at He has started to use Pyrocat and might have already done some tests with Delta 400.

I recommend the 1:1:100 dilution for silver printing, and the 2:2:100 dilution for alternative printing (platinum, carbon, kallitype, etc.). The reason is that we can get a much higher CI with the stronger dilution at the same development time and for most alternative work we need a negative with a greater density range.

My favorite film is Ilford FP4+ and it works great with Pyrocat. However, I have also used Pyrocat to good effect with TRI-X, TMAX-100, TMAX-400 and Ilford HP5+.

I recommend the presoak for all types of processing, but consider it only necessary for rotary processing, say in tubes or drums such as Jobo, BTZS, etc.

I have been participating in the site since December and enjoy it. What is the full address of the site?

Sandy King
Subject: Just tried Pyrocat-HD last night.

And was very impressed with the negs. Will probably print them Wed. night. I&#39;ve heard so much about pyro I just had to try it for my self. I would like to find out more information on your developer, do you have a website or a posted FAQ anywhere?

I am sure you get many emails every day from interested photographers such as myself but if I may ask a couple of questions if the above resources aren&#39;t available I would really appreciate it.

1. can you use the Pyrocat-HD with Ilford Delta 400 successfully? If so what would be a good starting time?
2. the recommendation I was given was a 1:1:100 dilution, but I&#39;ve heard that you now recommend 1:1:50. Is this true?
3. I prefer to use 400asa for 4x5, is there a particular brand that favors your developer?
4. how important is the pre-soak?

I noticed you on the Photo.Net site today, good to see you. We also have a great forum on APUG.ORG as well. Give us a whirl.

Take care,