Quote Originally Posted by Dave Pritchard View Post
Well, I was lucky enough that someone else "won" that pallet of photo gear. Thanks to all who lurk and bid.

I did just get a new camera. It is a pre-anniversary Speed Graphic, made about 1936. The focal plane shutter needs CLA, as it is very sluggish. It has a Zeiss 135mm lens in Compur shutter. The leaf shutter works just fine, so I'm in business. I can wait to get the focal plane shutter working. Eventually, I'll want to use it with an old Ilex Paragon 7 1/2" barrel lens.

I now have the backpacking camera I have wanted. The only problem now is a tripod. I just started to research tripods. I checked out Karen Nakamura's web site comments on tripods. (I love Karen Nakamura!). Ouch! Tripods are pricey. Sigh... What to do?
What to do?

Go used and go a little smaller than you think. The Speed isn't that heavy, especially if you are using a normal type lens. No sense killing yourself over a tripod. That takes the fun out of overland hiking for your art. Don't go with a ball head, they are too unstable until you get into large (and heavy) sizes.

I use an old "Star" for my Speed. I won't handle the Deardorff or the B&J 5x7, but the Speed works pretty good on it. And it weighs 1/3 what my Bogen does.

tim in san jose