I imagine that your darkroom books will cover the basics fairly well, at least those that I have encountered seem to do a good job. Beyond the basics, if one were to take the time to determine the type of processes and format sizes, it would be very beneficial.

In my case, I began with the thought that I would develop and print (by enlargement) 4X5 negatives. I constructed my darkroom with that in mind. My enlarger is mounted on a large worktable. To the right of that I have counter space for tray processing of prints. To the right of that is my film processing area with a temp controlled water bath for tray processing of film. I have separate print drying racks (built undercounter) and I have the drymounting press installed above the print drying racks. My mat cutting area is to the right of that area. The counter is laid out in a U shaped configuration along three walls.

The reason that I mentioned the caveat at the beginning is this, after the initial construction, I began using the 8X10 format and this brought along film developing by inspection and contact printing on Azo which required a green safelight and exposure light which does double duty. These did not exist in the original layout. I was able to power these from my enlarging timer (thank goodness). I have just recently moved into 12X20 format and this brings along another set of different procedures. I will need to move the exposure lamp for contact printing (to accomodate the larger negative), and I will need to make possible arrangements for a vacuum printing frame. Counter space begins to shrink and I wish that I had a room twice as large (presently 11 X 13) and with my framing and matting area separate.

My recommendations would be to think this through. Consider where your hopes, dreams, and ambitions may lead you. Time spent in planning will be recovered many times over in reexecution. Good luck.