Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
As digitography's shine wears off and people find it's limits I think film photography has the opportunity to find it's feet. That does depend on "us analog geeks" some too, educating our local camera club buddies and the like.
Mark great observations. I can definitely identify as my interests are somewhat similar to yours (with another obvious similar interest as we're both on this site).

Earlier today I had a bit of agro session spurred by the NPZ discontinuance that I posted some related thoughts on technology in general, as flickr comments.

Warning it's a rant in nature, but I don't think my observations are completely unfounded or ridiculous.

"Well, I'll deal with it. You won't see me buying a D700 or anything of that nature anytime soon.

It's actually sad to be part of a generation seeing something special and unique going away in some sense (don't worry it'll still be here for quite some time) - while a newer, younger generation brought up on disposable technology and raised by the semiconductor embraces the idea that it's "old bullshit no one would want to use."

I hate what the major camera manufacturers have become and I'm not going to be forced into the electronic obsolescence game that digital cameras represent these days. There will always be more megapixels, more features, and more technological bullshit that contributes more to sales figures and upgrade mentality rather than photography itself.

I'll take Tri-X and my METAL film cameras to the grave.

I tend to think there was a point of change, in the way manufacturers approached their products and customers, in the 80s and beyond.

Things went from reliable, reusable, and serviceable to plastic, disposable, and planned obsolescence as the norm. It's been like that almost ever since.

About the only thing that remains serviceable these days are cars, bicycles, and anything inherently mechanized. With the age of the modern semiconductor, many many things changed - and not all for the better.

There's no free lunch to non-serviceable products and the march of technology also means a gross dependence on it in the long run, not to mention the huge amount of waste things directly and indirectly create from point of manufacture to the when the customers throws it in the dump and "upgrades."

I'm not saying there haven't been good technologies put forth, but for all of the song and dance things receive, a lot of natural requirements haven't really been changing that much.

It seems for all the upgrading of everything under the sun we've done in recent decades, societal relations and the concept of community itself has actually declined! Guess they can't fix that with technology, right? But boy can they sure sell me a product!"

Original reference:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nycdrinkup/3695955603/