What is your time worth?

I have printed Ilfochromes for about 6 years, so I am no expert. However, the whole slide film/e6 processing/Ilfochrome workflow was engineered to give good results on Ilfochrome. Ilfochrome chemistry is a lot more expensive (and hard to find) than c-41 chemistry (assuming you would do the color negative/scan route). You will have to get some kind of jig to cut the paper in the proper dimension. The paper is thicker than film so all of the ANSI-standard tolerences for holding the film in the holder are off. When you mess up the development process (not if...but when) you will have lost the original.

If you have time to trim sheets of paper in complete darkness, like to make lots of dupe exposures to make sure you don't lose the photo due to processing error, can absorb the higher cost of the chemistry, can tolerate focus issues, and can spend time on your computer correcting fairly significant color shifts, go for it. If you would rather spend you time taking pictures rather than battling your materials, you may want to reconsider this.

The direct positive method has been used for an "alternative" rendering of a scene. Look up some of the photographers who do direct Ilfochorome prints (Willie Anne Wright, Carol Henry ). It is quite an interesting medium, but not one I would use to get a more standard result in a time-effective or cost-effective manner.