John Powers - the originator and gracious host of the NE Ohio gatherings - has sent out emails suggesting a September gathering. I am posting the information he supplied in order to spread the news farther afield - (completely bypassing the courtesy of asking John about it first.)
Sept 5-6 or 26-27 have been suggested as dates and Nelson Ledges has been suggested as a venue.
I'll throw my hat in the ring for either or both dates. Color will be better in late September - but some are just blind to this attraction.
Nelson Ledges is about half way between Cleveland and the Pennsylvania line, in the Pittsburgh direction. That makes it a shorter ride for the Pennsylvania contingent, but adds about 20 miles for those coming straight from Detroit. It's about a 40 mile (?) ride from John's house.
John supplied the following links for more information about Nelson Ledges:
There are other photogenic areas in the vicinity:
- South Chagrin Reservation
- Middlefield - minus the Amish, who as a rule normally don't like being photographed, though there are many exceptions and asking will often get permission
- Punderson State Park
- Holden Arboretum - a bit of a drive, about 30 miles, most through very lovely Amish country - take the little grey roads on the map.
For people wishing to stay in the Nelson Ledges area -
- A very nice campground and lodge can be found at Punderson State Park
- An amusement park with camping is less than a mile down the road from Nelson Ledges
- Numerous bed and breakfasts can be found in Burton and Middlefield.
Along with the usual motel chains, though they will be a bit farther afield in this part of the country.
John has also offered to host campers - I'll leave the exposition of the offer to him.
For those of you who will be bringing Speed Graphics for action shots, there is a race track nearby.
These gatherings have been going of for a bit over a year now, are open to all who show up - and lots do, and are a whole lot of fun.